[Matroska-devel] question about not linear track timeline

Pavel Koshevoy pkoshevoy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:11:58 CEST 2012

On 3/29/12 3:10 PM, alexander wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> Please help me to understand one strange thing...
> Some video files has not linear timeline, please look at attached
> pictures.
> The files are playing fine, but If i repack such files they are
> playing not correctly.
> If i recalculate time for problem frames and and make time linear, the
> movie decoding correct, but playing not smooth, with short delays.
> The question is...     is it was an error in packing software, or all
> is correct and such not linear time is because of codec specifics?

The frames are stored in decode order according to DTS timestamp, but
DTS timestamps are not stored in matroska.  The timestamps you are
highlighting are presentation timestamps (PTS).  Frames are not
necessarily decoded and presented in the same order.

Please read this explanation about various frame types, in particular
B-frames -- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=19436

     Pavel.