[Matroska-devel] MKVToolNix v5.4.0 released
moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Mar 10 15:19:06 CET 2012
I've released mkvtoolnix v5.4.0. It's a release that contains one huge
improvement: the AVC/h.264 timecode assignment code has been
completely rewritten. Users do not have to specify the default
duration/FPS for such tracks anymore safe for the rarest cases. Apart
from that there were tons of bug fixes, improvements regarding file
type recognition, and a complete re-write of the (E)AC3 parsing code.
A note for package maintainers: Boost's rational library is now required.
Here are the usual links...
...to the home page:
...to the source code:
...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
All of the Linux binaries that I provide have already been built and
Here's the full ChangeLog since release 5.3.0:
2012-03-10 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* Released v5.4.0.
2012-03-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed wrong calculation of the maximum number
of ns per cluster in certain fringe cases if timecode scale was
set to "auto" mode ("--timecode-scale -1"). Fix for bug 707.
2012-03-07 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* build system: The C++ compiler must now support the C++11
keyword 'nullptr'. configure checks for it. For GCC this means at
* mkvinfo: new feature: mkvinfo will output the track ID that
mkvmerge and mkvextract would use for a track. This information is
shown alongside the "track number" element in verbose mode and in
the track summary in summary mode.
* mkvmerge, mmg: enhancement: The "--default-duration" in mkvmerge
and the "FPS" drop down box in mmg now accept "p" or "i" as a unit
-- as in e.g. "25p" or "50i". Several commonly used values have
been added to mmg's "FPS" drop down box and others removed.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: When using an external timecode file with
AVC/h.264 video the default duration will be set to the most-often
used duration in the timecode file.
* mmg: enhancement: Added the values "50", "60" and "48000/1001"
to the list of commonly used values for the "FPS" input field.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: AVC/h.264 packetizer: The value given with
"--default-duration" (after internal conversion from the unit
given by the user to duration in nanoseconds) is now again
interpreted as the duration of a frame and not of a field.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: SRT subtitles: timecodes can contain the
minus sign before any digit, not just before the first one.
2012-03-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Sometimes non-AC3 files were mistakenly for
AC3 after the re-write of the AC3 handling code on
2012-02-26. This has been rectified. Fix for bug 723.
2012-03-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge will keep the "enabled" track
header flag when muxing. mkvmerge will also output its value in
verbose identification mode as "enabled_track".
* mkvmerge: enhancement: MicroDVD text subtitles are recognized as
an unsupported format instead of an unknown format.
* mmg: The warning that no default duration/FPS has been given for
AVC/h.264 tracks has been removed.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Complete re-write of the timecode handling
code for AVC/h.264 tracks. Now handles several cases correctly:
interlaced video, video with multiple or changing SPS with
different timing information. The timing information is extracted
from the bitstream. Therefore the user doesn't have to specify the
default duration/FPS himself anymore. Fix for bugs 434 and 688.
2012-02-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* build system: Boost's "rational" library is now required.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Complete re-write of the (E)AC3 parsing and
handling code. Dependent EAC3 frames are now handled
correctly. Fix for bug 704.
2012-02-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The width and height of h.264 video tracks
with a pixel format other than 4:2:0 are now calculated
correctly. Fix for bug 649. Patch by Nicholai Main (see AUTHORS).
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed file type recognition and frame drops
for VC1 elementary streams that do not start with a sequence
header but with frame or field packets instead.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed mis-detection as unsupported DV files
(happened for e.g. PGS subtitle files).
2012-02-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* doc: enhancement: Updates for option file usage and supported
More information about the Matroska-devel