[Matroska-devel] [proposal] add new element DefaultDeocdedFieldDuration

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Dec 29 23:40:42 CET 2012

Hey,

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org> wrote:

> Why is this field not TimecodeScale ? In the future we want timestamps to be
> fractions, that mean they would all involve the scale at some point. So it
> should be done now too.

Because neither is DefaultDuration. I also think it's a very, very bad
idea to scale it; especially with the 1ms granularity which we use by
default. That would make most values pretty imprecise (e.g. N/ATSC
broadcast: 1000000000ns/(60/1.001) = 16683333ns, scaled to 1ms
precision => 16 or 17, depending on what the muxer writes).

Kind regards,
mosu