[Matroska-devel] moving from Subversion to Git & Github.com?

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Dec 29 23:29:54 CET 2012

Hi Moritz,

I also use git a lot and prefer its convenience over svn too. The issue
here is that many people/project may link directly to the svn repository.
All these people will have to change their process for us. They may also be
using svn:externals which has no equivalent in git.

One solution would be to automatically commit whatever is pushed on git to
the old svn. I know that's more or less what git-svn (or whatever the name)
does but it's manual and thus prone to errors. Is there any tool that can
help that ? Maybe Sourceforge has a git migration tool, since they offer
git now. Why would we move to github rather than use SF's git then ?

Steve

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Steve, I'd like to switch from Subversion to Git as our VCS. I've been
> using Git for both all of my personal and professional projects for a
> couple of years now, and there are simply a lot of advantages Git has
> over Subversion. So I'd like to convert our single Subversion
> repository into multiple Git repositories (one per top-level directory
> in the Subversion trunk), and in the same step I'd like to move them
> over to Github.com. On Github.com I've already created an orginazation
> called "Matroska-Org" and would offer all repos under that
> organization.
>
> As you and me are the only two people still committing to the
> Subversion repo I'd like to have your "Ok" for such a move, though. It
> would make my life quite a bit easier.
>
> Kind regards,
> mosu
> Read Matroska-Devel on GMane: