[Matroska-devel] Tagging MKV files

Dan Hinsley danhi at cox.net
Wed Aug 15 23:27:48 CEST 2012

So, I'm working on a library to allow tagging of MKV files and I have a
question.  What I'd like to do is write all the tags at the end of the file,
so that I don't have to rewrite the entire file.  But it looks like I have
to update the SeekPosition to point to the new location of the tags.  The
problem is that this will increase the number of bytes to specify the
offset, and since there doesn't appear to be any padding in this section
(I'm using the cover_art.mkv test file), that prevents me from just updating
this.

And even if I rewrite the entire file, calculating the offsets is tough
because the offset is going to depend on the size of the SeekPosition
lengths, which depends on the offset.  Am I missing something obvious here?

Also (not that it matters for me at the moment) how are the Seek UID's
determined?

Also, is there a forum anywhere for developers working to create/play/modify
MKV files?

Thanks,

Dan