[Matroska-devel] question about taging the metadata source

David Rice daverice at mac.com
Sat Sep 10 02:35:23 CEST 2011

Hi Boris,

On Sep 9, 2011, at 8:07 PM, Boris Juraga wrote:

> I cant seem to find a proper tag to enter information that Movie x has IMDB id of y and ThemovieDB.org id of z
>
> Any help on this?

I've had a similar issue with BARCODE where I want to store the barcode value but also need to store the source of the barcode value (so it is known which system it resolves to).

The official Matroska identifier tags mostly seem to be specific to particular types of identifiers (ISRC, LCCN, ISBN, etc). It would be helpful to have a generic IDENTIFIER tag that could use a nested SOURCE or TYPE tag to clarify what type of identifier is container.

Maybe in your case you could use CATALOG_NUMBER with a nested URL:

<Simple>
 <Name>CATALOG_NUMBER</Name>
 <String>3063</String>
 <Simple>
  <Name>URL</Name>
  <String>http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/3063</String>
 </Simple>
</Simple>

A bit redundant though, maybe simply including URL either as a tag level tag or nested in TITLE would be clearer.

Dave Rice