[Matroska-devel] Representation of payload for SeekHead entries

Matthew Heaney matthewjheaney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 19:37:24 CET 2011

I had a question about the representation of the payload for SeekHead
entry items.

The payload for a SeekHead entry has an ID and a position, each
wrapped in their own little container.  It looks something like this:

<ID = SeekID> = type uint = 0x13AB = [53[AB]
<id payload size> = type uint
<id payload> = type ???
<ID = SeekPos> = type uint = 0x13AC = [53][AC]
<pos payload size> = type uint
<pos payload> = ???

I'm not clear about how the <id payload> and <pos payload> items are
represented in the stream.

The spec says that the SeekID has type "binary".  Does this mean that
this is a normal, 2's complement integer, in network byte order?  Or
is this an unsigned integer having a "matroska representation"?  Are
there any constraints on the range of values?

The spec says that the SeekPos has type "unsigned int".  Does this
also mean that this is a normal, 2's complement integer, in network
byte order?  Does it have the same representation as the SeekID
payload value, or some different representation?  How is "uint"
different from "binary"?

I ask because each payload value is listed as having a different type
("binary" vs. "uint").  I'm not sure whether this means that they each
have a different representation, or that they have the same
representation in the stream, but a different range of possible
values.

Thanks,
Matt