[Matroska-devel] Support for DTS and DTS-HD formats in the mkv container

Phillip Maness Phillip.Maness at dts.com
Fri Jun 10 03:14:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

I work for DTS in the standards group and handle most of our media formats definitions work.

I would like to add support for some additional DTS-HD audio configurations to the mkv format. Currently we have A_DTS defined, which seems to have been used somewhat successfully with DTS-HD formats that include the DTS core substream (e.g. DTS-HD Master Audio), in that DTS-HD decoders will process the complete substream, and most DTS decoders will process the core substream portion and discard the remainder, but I think there are some decoders that choke on the DTS-HD streams.

We have two additional configurations of DTS-HD that we would like to support, and these formats will definitely not play on older DTS decoders, so they need be signaled differently than the other DTS format. One of these formats is DTS Express, a.k.a. DTS LBR, the other is DTS-HD Lossless without a core substream. (we don't have a marketing name for this yet).

We have also have registered a code for the original DTS format with MPEG4RA, which is 'dtsc'. I don't know if it would be problematic to have a redundant definition or to switch over from the old FOURCCMap (0x2001) and CodecID (A_DTS)? It might make life easier for our partners starting with MPEG-4 ISO media files and embedding them into the Matroska container. I realize the existing codes for DTS were defined prior to our registration in MPEG4RA.

I would suggest we mirror what we've defined in MPEG4RA, which would be to signal our codecs as follows :

CodecID

CodecPrivate format

DirectShow mediatype format

Comment

A_DTSL
DTS Lossless

None

Subtype

FOURCCMap('dtsl')

DTS-HD Lossless audio streams

Format

WaveFormatEx

A_DTSE
DTS Express

None

Subtype

FOURCCMap('dtse')

DTS Express audio streams

Format

WaveFormatEx

A_DTSH
DTS-HD

None

Subtype

FOURCCMap('dtsh')

DTS-HD audio streams that include a core substream, including lossless streams, e.g. DTS-HD Master Audio
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio

Format

WaveFormatEx

A_DTSC
DTS

None

Subtype

FOURCCMap('dtsc')

DTS core audio streams, e.g.
DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-96/24

Format

WaveFormatEx

Does this seem reasonable or is there another approach that would work better for the format?

Best regards,
Phil Maness

DTS, Inc.
5220 Las Virgenes Road
Calabasas, CA 91302
Tel: (818) 436-1361
Fax: (818) 436-1861
email: phillip.maness at dts.com
Check out my company's latest award winning video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BANqbtl2D4

Notice:
This message and any included attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee, and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy the original message and any copies or printouts hereof.