Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sun Jan 30 16:01:18 CET 2011

I cc the official mailing list so that more people can take part in
the discussion.

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Boris Juraga <boris.juraga at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there, i have seen this example and many more, and even got to the
> specifications and eve broke out the hex editor and started building a
> tag reader for Matroska....
>
> What i needed were the tags ORIGINAL_MEDIA_TYPE and CONTENT_TYPE at
> http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html so i can
> classify my videos and later build a MKV media library

So they are there. What is missing then ?

> I think you at Matroska need to set atleast some standards, or this
> contaier will decay as many others. I know it is mass used and all its
> "features" are great for me - but they are all just on paper, no app
> uses tags, and many more features MKV is capable of. Why is that? I
> would really appreciate few simple answers so i know is it worth it
> for me to build apps around MKV. By worth it i mean my time not money
> in any way, i love programing

Well the success of Matroska is not based on tags. In fact right now
nobody cares about tags. That's a PITA when you see so many
hardware/PCs acting as media centers and there is no proper way to
tell what file is what. This is precisely why tags exist in Matroska
but we don't make all these softwares, we can only propose the specs
and hope they will support it in a decent way. It worked for other
Matroska features so hopefully it should work with that one too...
It's a chicken and egg problem. One has to start somewhere.

> I need someone from your team to tell me what is there for Matroska in
> C#(C Sharp)? Can you provide me with a mechanism for reading tags, or
> maybe entire Matroska file and build a "map"of all the elements?

I am not sure there are much code doing Matroska in C# but here is one:
https://matroska.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/matroska/trunk/mkNETtools/

Googling "Matroska c#" will probably give you more results.

Steve