[Matroska-devel] mka for radio practicality

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Jan 15 14:06:56 CET 2011

Hello Michael,

Yes Matroska is very well suited for that. It has an extensive (and
extensible) tagging system. And the design of Matroska also makes it
possible to introduce extra "proprietary" information without
affecting playback at all.

Unfortunately the tagging system is not used much now. But it has
always been the goal to make it widespread for exactly the kind of use
you want to do.

Steve

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Michael Moman <mike.moman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I'm just looking into the .mka files and wanted to look into the
> possibilities of this being a substitute for the current audio and database
> system that radio stations around the world are currently using... would the
> mka files be able to contain all that database information yet still be
> functional on stand alone players that aren't looking for that infor?
>
> essentially this might be a great step in developing a superior music player
> program for stations with keeping track of when songs were played, what kind
> of endings, cue times, etc etc...
>
> this would be a fun project to propose to my group.
> Mike Moman
> Director of Awesome
> me at mikemoman.com
> 403-389-9980