[Matroska-devel] Matroska v3

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Thu Feb 24 07:51:52 CET 2011

I've split this into different messages on different subjects. I have also
limited this one to the dev list, not to exclude the the general list, but
because this is not current but future oriented.

Since we seem to be moving decidedly towards a V3, this seems to be a good
time to discuss adding significant features. I've seen some interest from
manufacturers to implement haptics in video moving forward.

The devices for doing this are so varied that a single standard really isn't
possible yet. The devices themself vary from a subwoofer-like device
attached to the bottom of the seat to certain devices of an adult nature.

Right now, haptic devices are extremely rare, but I've seen either market
ready or working prototypes for roughly a dozen such devices. Its also worth
noting that multiple devices may be used at the same time (e.g. one seat
shifter, one wind simulator).

In terms of how to implement, I think the appropriate path is 0 or more
separate streams, of which 0 or more streams may be active, each stream
dedicated to one device (although some devices may be compound). Many of the
streams will be very similar to subtitle tracks, although as implemented
right now many of them include DRM. I'm in favor of it simply being their
problem to make that work, most of them don't seem to mind that. The other
option that seems to be used is an audio track, again I think its up to them
to make it work, even though this on is easier (heavily compressed audio and
a low pass filter).

So what is the view on including a new type of stream for haptics devices?
                  Joe