[Matroska-devel] Official Tags

Jaroslaw Zachwieja grok at zyxxyz.eu
Tue Feb 15 21:44:35 CET 2011

On 15 February 2011 20:01, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org> wrote:
> The Amazon case is good example of the issue with just a name. It
> would rather be AMAZON_US/AMAZON_UK/AMAZON_FR/AMAZON_DE or
> amazon.com/amazon.co.uk/amazon.fr/amazon.de. I'm still not sure which
> is better. In both case you don't get the actual URL to get the
> required information (and there may be more than one, XML and JSON
> output for ex). So maybe just a generic uppercase name for the site is
> enough.

I like this idea -- and I would even take it further.

How about taking the FQDN of the database as the capitalised tag:

AMAZON_CO_UK / AMAZON_DE / IMDB_COM / THEMOVIEDB_ORG / BBC_CO_UK / ...

I agree that the actual URL for the XML / JSON may not be a good idea,
sites tend to change things -- this should be left to the interpreting
software, especially since to access most APIs a key is required; this
way the software can be kept up-to-date with the API. However the FQDN
is more of a company asset these days and this tends to be preserved
over time.

Another benefit of this approach is that we can still keep the
EXTERNAL_DB tag as official and keep the attribute names specified as
capitalised FQDN with s/\./_/g in the standard.

If no one objects to the above, I'll get on to writing example
tagfiles and presenting them here for approval.
--
grok