[Matroska-devel] Official Tags

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Tue Feb 15 21:01:59 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM, grok <grok at zyxxyz.eu> wrote:
> Since they're attributes to EXTERNAL_DB, is anyone bothered about the
> name for the databases? So far I have come up with:
>
> IMDB - http://imdb.com
> TVDB - http://thetvdb.com
> TMDB - http://themoviedb.org
> IBBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk
>
> AMZN - http://amazon.{com,co.uk,fr,...}
> MBRZ - http://musicbrainz.org
> DSCG - http://discogs.com
>
> Perhaps 4 letters are too few? Perhaps any length would be appropriate
> or a top-level URL would be more desired instead of a (4 letter)
> identifier. On the other hand, FOURCC is an established (not
> necessarily good) practice.

We don't have size limits/restrictions for tags. One of the idea is
that some tag editors present the tags as raw <key,value> pairs to the
users. So it's better if the name make sense to the user.

The Amazon case is good example of the issue with just a name. It
would rather be AMAZON_US/AMAZON_UK/AMAZON_FR/AMAZON_DE or
amazon.com/amazon.co.uk/amazon.fr/amazon.de. I'm still not sure which
is better. In both case you don't get the actual URL to get the
required information (and there may be more than one, XML and JSON
output for ex). So maybe just a generic uppercase name for the site is
enough.

Steve

> Any comments?
> --