Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Feb 12 13:18:03 CET 2011

I agree that a good tag editor for Matroska is much needed. You have
to realise that Matroska is mostly used for video and video tag
support is almost non existent is most players and probably in Media
Centers too. It's all a chicken and egg problem. I try to push
Matroska tags whenever I can but it's not an easy sell. But as this
thread suggests, there is a growing demand and some tools are on the
way.

I would do one myself but right now my TODO list is already full as it
is. So I leave the job to someone else for now.

Steve

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Boris Juraga <boris.juraga at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is the intention of Alexander Noe (author of AVI-Mux GUI) to put
>>> elements in random position when possible. So that readers don't
>>> assume fixed positions. This is to ensure better long term
>>> compatibility.
>>
>> I agree with Alex on this. Even though mkvmerge doesn't do it to the extent
>> that AVI-Mux GUI does mkvmerge often does things that annoy existing readers
>> while staying 100% spec compliant
>
> Well i like your approach on this, but you see, then you are "forcing"
> other people (99.99% of the people using mkvmerge to convert from
> various containers to Matroska) who can not develop their own muxers
> and tools for matroska to see the container from your perspective. Not
> to disrespect you or your work, but if you cared about Matroska in the
> way you stated above you would've made a tag editor that does not
> remux the file and we would not be having this conversation. I would
> simple download a Matroska Tag Editor.exe from somewhere and stick
> with only creating the Mtroska Media Library i first started building.
> But now i have almost complete application, and no app to build the
> "complete" matroska files. So this is the downside of open source, and
> i know that no one makes money on this, and to use its own time "for
> free" is givingto the world but we need to make one good tag editor
> now, and it better only support simple matroska files, so people can
> start to use it. media centers can start using it. and then we can
> version it and upgrade. If i knew how to run an open source project on
> sourceforge or similar i would by now. But untill recently i was a
> full time employed C# developer so my perspective on open source is
> just opening.
>
> Again, no disrespect meant, my point is that i think We should make
> something for Matroska, and not just for us.

Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman