[Matroska-devel] Official Tags

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Feb 12 08:54:42 CET 2011

Hello Jaroslaw,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM, grok <grok at zyxxyz.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, thank you for designing the best media container out there.
>
> I had a quick search through the mailing lists and other than
> unanswered questions didn't find anything relevant. I've been looking
> for a tag to put external database IDs like IMDB into a MKV file and
> haven't found one that is suitable.
>
> Therefore I'd like to propose adding a new official tag or at least
> specifying one that would allow storing such information.
>
> In simplest form it could look like this:
>
>    <Simple>
>      <Name>EXTERNAL_DB</Name>
>        <Simple>
>          <Name>IMDB</Name>
>          <String>tt123456</String>
>        </Simple>
>        <Simple>
>          <Name>TMDB</Name>
>          <String>1256</String>
>        </Simple>
>    </Simple>
>
> Where "EXTERNAL_DB" would be an official tag and the attributes like
> "IMDB" would be unspecified to avoid amending spec every time some
> database becomes relevant.
>
> Is it something that makes sense from your point of view?

That does sound good to me. Let's see if there are comments on this.
Also if you or anyone else can think of other relevant DBs (discogs
for music ? musicbrainz ? amazon store ?). Maybe an accompanying URL
or at least DNS for the service could be good. Maybe the DNS as the
tag name ? There could be an issue if one DNS have 2 different DBs (ie
IDs not matching in the 2 different DBs) for music and video.

Steve

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman