Boris Juraga boris.juraga at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:45:34 CET 2011

There is allot activity here about the tags finally. I can only give
you few proposals of mine too. While working with the tags,
attachments, reading, writing and whatnot i have made few conclusions
of mine:

1. By far the most susceptible to change are indeed the tags and as
they are much smaller than even one cover art, it will not hurt much
the file to either write them in the most optimal location -> early in
the file and add few (2,3,4)KB of void after them, and enough after
the seekhead for few additions to it.

2. Even if after this optimum tags layout left you needing more space
than the one provided in case 1. , void them and move them to the back
(for example batch editing tags for allot of mkv's that did not had
tags and were not optimized by case 1.), or remux the file and adding
another 2,3,4 kB void space after them -- depending on the author of
the app and the scenario, even pop up a message box to ask for
preference.

3. Attachments are always a big deal, so in my opinion it is normal to
remux the file after adding lets say 4 cover art images in total of
one megabyte or even more (someone will add 1080pixels images) so i
would suggest remuxing after this.

4. In case 3. if you remux the file it wont hurt you to make sure
about the tags by following the case 1. so you get 2 good things .

This are just proposals and i am interested in opinions on them. So
far i am thinking to use this algorithm in my tag\attachment editor,
so if i miss on something here feel free to contribute