[Matroska-devel] multiple video streams stereo 3D mode broken

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Feb 5 10:57:35 CET 2011

Moving the discussion to the list at some other people may be interrested.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Dorian Muthig <contact at dorianmuthig.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Whilst converting a local library to the new format wouldn't be much of a problem, for files from a remote source I still can be sure about the format used, especially since people don't usually update their muxing software regularly and stick to what they know and rely on.
> The old format made sense very well. If the first or default video is a stream with stereo mode set to 1 or 2, I need to look for the second complementary stream that uses the stereo mode for the other eye. The playback software then combines the picture from both streams into a display or projector output for stereoscopic viewing.
> There may not have been a large consumer space for 3D viewing at home at the time, but small production environments and 3D movie theaters have used the format due to its codec versatility.

I understand. But it should not be left to guessing which track should
be combined with what other. Imagine you have 2 right eye and 2 left
eye tracks (for example a multi angle video). There was nothing to
know which should be used.

I think it's too late now to change the values again (and leave empty
the fields that were used). So since such systems use a custom player,
I guess they can be updated to check which mkvmerge value was used
(unless they also used custom muxers). It's not much more complex than
checking for a new field. Such players should also be updated to
handle the new TrackOperation system too.

I'll add in my TODO a tack to make the mkvmerge check and StereoMode fix.

Steve