[Matroska-devel] Opus audio codec

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Dec 14 22:11:25 CET 2011

Hey,

OK I've taken a look at Xiph's mapping of Opus in Ogg. The ID header
they describe looks nearly fine to me: nothing that's too Ogg-centric
apart from the "OpusHead" string. I'd rather skip this as a
distinguishing feature between CodecPrivate and some other Matroska
element is simply not necessary in Matroska (I'm referring to the part
"The magic signature "OpusHead" allows codec identification and is
human readable. Starting with 'Op' helps distinguish it from data
packets, as this is an invalid TOC sequence." We also already have a
human-readable CodecID for the first part.

So what I'd propose would be your solution 2 (no new Matroska channel
mapping element only for this codec) with a slight modification.
CodecPrivate should consist of (copy & paste from Xiph.org):

- Version number (8 bits): zero for this spec
- Channel count 'c' (8 bits unsigned): MUST be > 0
- Pre-skip (16 bits unsigned)
- Input sample rate (32 bits, little endian): informational only
- Output gain (16 bits, little endian, signed Q7.8 in dB) to apply when decoding
- Channel mapping family (8 bits)
 --  0 = one stream, RTP order, 1 = channels in order as stated below,
2..254 reserved (treat as 255), 255 = no defined channel meaning
If channel mapping family > 0
- Stream count 'N' (8 bits unsigned): MUST be > 0
- Two-channel stream count 'M' (8 bits unsigned): MUST satisfy M <= N,
M+N <= 255
- Channel mapping (8*c bits)
  -- one stream index (8 bits unsigned) per channel (255 means silent
throughout the file)

Then we only have to define the channel mapping family 1 somewhere
which should match Vorbis' channel mapping (I just don't like the
Matroska specs referring to the Vorbis specs for something like this).

Kind regards,
mo