[Matroska-devel] Opus audio codec

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Dec 14 21:42:39 CET 2011

Hey,

the "normal case" mapping looks straight forward, I agree.

First thing that came to my mind about the multichannel thingy was
that either way we implement it requires Opus-dependent code both in
the muxer and in the demuxer. It just looks slightly different.

If you get right down to it each and every codec that needs some kind
of special data (channel mapping, quantizers, whatever) also needs
special code in _some_ muxer -- even if e.g. mkvmerge only copies that
stuff from the AVIs BITMAPINFOHEADER to the Matroska file. Even in
that case the muxer creating the AVI would have had to contain
codec-specific code (or the system in general would have to provide
facilities to let the codec itself create that data and pass it on).
So: it's not unusual and completely OK.

I'm very busy until the weekend and I'll write more then.

Kind regards,
mo