[Matroska-devel] Is there any royalty or license fee for splitter or demux implementation?

Christian Wiesner cwiesner at matroska.org
Mon May 31 14:27:05 CEST 2010

Hi,

the specs of matroska are in the public domain, meaning they belong to
everybody. As long as you don't use any existing code for your demuxer, you
are fully free to program your own spiltter. In such case, no royalty fee
will apply.

However, should you plan to use one of the many existing demuxers, you have
to get in contact with the author of the program to see if he will charge
you for that or not.

Will you code your own splitter/demuxer ? Or do you plan to use existing
software ?

Christian
project admin