[Matroska-devel] libmatroska/ebml 0.9.0/0.8.0 is binary incompatible with previous version

Cristian Morales Vega cmorve69 at yahoo.es
Sun May 30 11:23:31 CEST 2010

2010/5/30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>:
> Hey,
>
> On Saturday 29 May 2010 11:08:01 Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
>
>> Should I change the soname in the openSUSE package (if so, to what?
>> I'm not sure about how will you name libebml2) or this can be fixed?
>
> This will not be fixed. As a matter of fact the next release due in the
> next couple of days will probably be binary incompatible as well. So if
> you can wait another week you should probably not release libebml
> 0.8.0/libmatroska 0.9.0 now in order not to have to change the soname
> twice.

No problem. But can I expect the next release to directly build
libraries with a different soname? It's not a difficult patch in the
distro-side, but if just for the sake of cross-distro compatibility it
would be better if you directly released something with a new soname.

Also, is this something exceptional or should I never expect binary
compatibility between libebml/libmatroska releases?