[Matroska-devel] Haali Media Splitter - BUG REPORT - Multi Track Splitting Not Working

Pascal Mons pascal_mons at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 16:06:34 CET 2010

Well, Almost 1 year after I reported on this thread a confounding BUG in the Haali Media Splitter, there has been NO FEEDBACK & NO CORRECTIVE ACTION taken by the folks of haali.su/mkv/ ...

I have appended the original e-mail at the bottom of this one.

I will only describe the bug here again in some simple words : As we all know here the Matroska container format is supposed to allow us to mux in 1 MKV file for one Video, more than one Audio and more than one Subtitle. The trouble is that as I reported earlier, the Haali Media Splitter from at least the version of 27/03/2010 on to the latest is only able to show [in MPC-HC selection menu] the first Audio and the first Subtitle ... There is no way to access any other Audio and/or Subtitle [Period].

Then, where is the benefit of using an MKV format with this kind of buggy splitter ? The multi-track feature has been lost.

When MPC-HC released their version 1.3 last year, they bundled with their installer version the buggy release of Haali Media Splitter available at that time. Hopefully, the zip file version did not contain the splitter. And I was able to use the latest working version of the Haali Media Splitter I know : the version 1.9.42.1 (packed with the installer of CoreAVC Codec 1.9.5) [date unknown].

Their website haali.su/mkv/ does not provide numbered version of their release ... but only dates. Older versions that the latest current one are not available either ...

Regards,
PM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

e-mail dated January, 6th, 2010

I happen to use in the videos I watch a lot of different subtitles (each in one given language), which I mux with the video / audio stream with MKV Merge GUI from Moritz Bunkus.

I am using a PC with Vista x64 US English.

The software I use to watch this video files (with a Matroska container) is MPC Home Cinema x64 on the x64 PC and x86 on the other.

I installed as well CoreAVC Video Codec which offered until the version 1.9.5 to install the Haali media Splitter. In this case the version of the splitter is 1.9.42.1. (I don't know the date of this release).

Using any version of MPC Home Cinema with this version of the Haali Media Splitter worked well until I stumbled last November on a bug which prevented access [Menu Play --> Subtitles of MPC] to all subtitles except the first one appearing in the list of MKV Merge GUI i.e. Menu --> Subtitles list only the first one. I discovered at that time that this occurred only after installing MPC-HC v1.3.1249 with the installer .exe available for this release [I used it to update my previously [and working] installed version v1.2.908 on my second computer XP/Vista dual boot]. On another computer [Vista x64] I installed myself the executable in the Program Files folder to perform the update and everything went fine. I didn't see the previously mentioned bug appearing. I didn't have immediately an answer for this kind of behaviour. I initialy thought that something went wrong in the muxing proces with MKV Merge GUI. It was not.

Recently, in early April I installed a newer version of the splitter found at http://haali.su/mkv . It was the version identified as of date 27/03/2010.

Following this, the computer running Vista x64 did show the same bug as the other computer : No access to the list of subtitles but the first one of the list.

I uninstalled the Haali Media Splitter and re-installed the version 1.9.42.1 (packed with the installer of CoreAVC Codec 1.9.5) and things were back to normal. I could again see all the subtitles. Although if you just re-install the working version 1.9.42.1 without un-installing any bugged version it will not work either. You need to properly un-install a bugged version with its own un-installer, and later install the 1.9.42.1.

I tested the newly released version of the splitter dated 20/05/2010 yesterday and it carries the same bug as well.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour of the Haaili Media Splitter ? And can anyone involved in the splitter development have a look at this ?

I uploaded in early May a 100 MB chunk of the movie Mean.Girls.2004.1080p.BluRay.x264-CiNEFiLE.mkv containing 5 subtitles : English from other languages, English, French, Spanish et Portuguese.

Mean.Girls.2004.1080p.BluRay.x264-CiNEFiLE_newsub-001.mkv
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?odt0wnjwtvo

Another annoying thing in Windows is that below the Play, Pause & Stop Button, instead of having the Matroska icon from the Haali splitter, I have a music icon from Windows Media Player DLL (from file %system%System32\wmploc.dll). It may come from a mess in windows registry but it's quite annoying. Re-installing the splitter didn't solve this problem. Is there a way to get around this ? and display the Matroska icon from the splitter ?

Tank you for your feedback.