[Matroska-devel] S_DVBSUB

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Tue Aug 31 20:46:58 CEST 2010

> As I said I've no idea how common it is to share data between tracks
> in the DVB real world. My gut feeling is that it isn't that common (I've
> never seen it in the wild). My suggestion is to leave the track sharing
> out of the picture for subtitles (which, after all, isn't that data
> intensive).
>
> One alternative would be to make the Codec Private Data optional
> basically saying that:
>
> - If no Private Data is present the packets must be pre-filtered by the
> muxing application
>
> - If Privade Data is present (4 bytes with 2 x 16bit of those IDs) the
> decoder should apply filtering.
>
> The only opensource decoder I've used for decoding DVB subtitles
> (FFmpeg) already works in exactly this way.

That sounds more like a hack rather than a clean solution. In Matroska we
already need to mix independent tracks together for 3D videos. So I will
define something more generic that works for both and hopefully more cases
that could arise in the future. The Codec Private is precisely private to
the codec and should not be interpreted at the container level.