[Matroska-devel] HTML5

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Apr 8 17:28:11 CEST 2010

Streaming from what point of view ? The player or the server ?

On the server side it's easy, it should present the stream as a file, where
you can (optionally) seek. It's standard HTTP streaming.

On the player side you may need to avoid "forward" seeking. It's possible in
HTTP but is not optimal in terms of connection speed. So whatever element
that requires you to seek to far in the file should be avoid. Normally the
Segment Info and Track Info headers are at the beggining of the file and
that's all you need for playback. If you want to handle seeking, you may
load the Cue list. But it's likely that you have to seek forward in the file
to do that. So I would advise to only load it when you need it (ie when the
user actually wants to seek).