[Matroska-devel] HTML5

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Apr 8 11:44:25 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

There are some growing concern about of the use of Ogg (.ogv in particular)
to stream video over HTTP. While it serves its purpose, it's not optimal, as
a big overhead and make simple things like seeking tricky.

There is an interresting discussion happening here (registration required to
be able to reply):
http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/382478/5b1997dd0d3052a0/

I added my little contribution to the debate in explaning that Matroska *is*
a serious candidate as well. Plus it has the advantage of supported both
Theora & Vorbis and H264 & AAC/MP3 (while Ogg and MP4 have a hard time
supporting the other "side").

I am currently working on libebml2, our C based BSD version of libebml. Once
I validate it in mkvtoolnix I will try to add support for Matroska in
Firefox and/or Chromium. So people can actually see that Matroska works in
those cases.