[Matroska-devel] multiple audio tracks with different languages

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Apr 1 22:56:41 CEST 2010

Hey,

On Thursday 01 April 2010 22:41:25 Matthew Heaney wrote:

> My question is whether there is a way to mux the MKV file (or files)
> such that only a single track of audio need be downloaded from the
> server.  Is there an intended mechanism for doing this?

No. This is pretty much a non-issue (meaning no one has ever asked for
such a feature), especially as audio bandwidth is small compared to
video bandwidth.

> Could each audio track go in its own segment?

That will only make downloading a file a bitch -- you'll have to
download from very different file positions all the time. Playing back
such un-interleaved files from slow media like CDROMs will be almost
impossible.

> Are segments intended to be stitched together sequentially,

That's the way they're usually used.

> My understanding is that segments in different files can be linked together,
> using segment UIDs.  But what about putting multiple segments in a single
> file?

Almost no player supports such files, and those that do play them
sequentially.

Regards,
Mosu