[Matroska-devel] Question about the CODEC

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Tue Sep 1 01:58:14 CEST 2009

From: "Secured Globe" <info at securedglobe.com>
Subject: [Matroska-devel] Question about the CODEC

> I would like to create a DRM based CODEC using Matroska. My question is:
> can
> I generate the target files to keep their original MP3 / MP4 extension?

There is substantial debate about DRM in Matroska, every time it comes up
there is little constructive (and I'm probably the guiltiest about bringing
it up). There are major problems with the current design of the DRM (is it
even still in the spec? I haven't checked in ages), it is very insecure. If
you are implementing the DRM inside the codec then you don't have to worry
about the container DRM, one of the codec parameters would be the
information necessary to decode.

No, you cannot keep the same format as the mp3/mp4, the Matroska container
is different, and the DRM would eliminate it being an mp3/mp4 anyway.
                    Joe