[Matroska-devel] Split HTTP requests under Media Player 12

Pion kyllingpost at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:40:07 CET 2009

I have a problem using the http interface in Media Player 12 which comes with
Windows 7 final. When opening an url pointing to a mkv file encoded with x264 I
see media player making tons of http requests of 24kb size packages causing the
playback to be extremely choppy. Using ffdshow or VLC, it only sends one large
request for the entire file. ffdshow doesn't work for me, so I'm stuck with VLC,
however VLC doesn't handle local cache, just reads sequentially, but Windows
Media Player does. What I can't seem to understand is why media splitter needs
to send so many partial requests, compared to a single read of the entire file?