[Matroska-devel] Proposal for future EBML

Remco Bloemen remco at qubis.nl
Tue May 12 07:57:13 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 00:34:19 Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> I started reading your document. I read:
> Note on compatibility: This specification is breaks binary compatibility
> with the existing ebml specification...

..., this is a necesary consequence of introducing namespaces. However ebml v1
is syntactically valid ebml v2.

So all current ebml is forward compatible with this proposal and can be read
by syntax-level parsers implementing this proposal. To allow a semantic-level
parser to be backwards compatible it is only necessary to mix the DocType
namespace in the ebml namespace. This was discussed in (among others):

http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-devel/2006-April/002906.html

> I immediately closed your website.

I am very sorry to hear that. Good thing the notice is right at the top then
:)

Kind Regards,
Remco Bloemen