[Matroska-devel] 'H264' from 'AVC1' in .mkv

William Stoltzman William.Stoltzman at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 13 02:43:44 CET 2009

Hi.  I'm a Software Engineer at Microsoft working on Windows Media Center.  I got your contact information from a colleague of mine who works in our codec group.  Please redirect my inquiry if you are not the best person to contact.

We are running into an issue where Media Center Extenders are unable to play h264 content in .mkv files.  The problem is that our device-side decoders support only start-code-delimited 'H264', not length-delimited 'AVC1'.  In addition, these decoders require SPS and PPS information in-band (as in H.264 Annex B specification).

We would like to be able to play this file format.  Does your organization have any plans to expose an 'H264' media type from your Haali splitter?  As I understand it, this would be a fairly straight-forward conversion by overwriting NALU lengths with start codes and inserting the SPS and PPS directly into the stream.

If not, is this something you could consider as future work?

Thanks,

Will Stoltzman
Software Development Engineer
Microsoft Windows Media Center