[Matroska-devel] MKV performance

Christian Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Oct 28 22:15:24 CET 2008

No, there is no indication at all that parsing a MKV would require more
resources than parsing an AVI or a MP4. In any case, decoding the content of
the container, i.e. the video and audio streams, will require 100x - 10.000x
more CPU power than parsing the container, so this is where the real power
is needed.

Many MKVs are coming with High-Definition h.264 (AVC) high-compression
encoded video streams these days, to the unexperienced user this may look
like MKVs do require more decoding power than other video files, but this
has nothing to do with the container format ....

Regards

Christian