[Matroska-devel] How can I concatenate / append / combine segments of Matroska files programatically?

Peter Romba promba at gmail.com
Mon May 12 19:14:24 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

I'm trying to write a class that will concatenate parts of two Matroska
files together.  I've seen examples of this in the mkvmerge program in the
mkvtoolnix toolkit.  However, that tool only appends complete files.  I'd
like to just append over *parts* of a source file onto the end of a
destination file.

Can anyone recommend the basic ways to do this?  The sample applications
included with the library illustrate muxing and reading/writing header data,
but it's not clear how to interact with the clusters and move them around
and still end up with an intelligible file.

As a side note, I haven't had much luck parsing any of the mkv files from
the matroska site with the test8 sample application--it seems like it just
loops through the files, finds no useful elements, and exits.  So that's
made it a bit difficult to examine the structure of a known good file.

Thanks!
--Peter