[Matroska-devel] Codec ID namespace and adding a new one

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Mar 27 13:46:23 CET 2008

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been adding mux/demux of a new codec to Matroska in mkvtoolnix,
> and I have patches to several media players that recognize it. I'm using
> the new "S_KATE" ID, but someone asked about whether this was or not
> "standard" in Matroska.
>
> So, is there any process to ensure no namespace collisions ? I found a
> pdf list of codecs (fairly small, on haali.cs.msu.ru), but no mention of how
> to add to it.

Sending a mail to this list is probably the best way to make it public.
We can add it on matroska.org and Haali can add it to his own page.
Matroska.org being the reference anyway.

Given the S_KATE name, I assume it's a subtitle codec ? Otherwise for
audio it should start with A_ and for video with V_.

Steve