[Matroska-devel] Re: MKV

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sun Mar 23 16:50:57 CET 2008

Andrey Stepanov wrote:
> Dr. XJ <dr.xj.my <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> hello,first of all thanks for MKV project :)and second:we all know that next
> generation gaming consoles are next generation media players either.now XBOX360
> Supports playing XVID, DivX and other MPEG4 formats as well as PS3.
>> Why great format like MKV is not supported? I know a codec is the only thing
> we need. a compatible one for XBOX360 or PS3.it will be a great news for MKV to
> be supported By this consoles/players.-- Regards,By Dr.XJ - a Way To Free World

> Unfortunately, this question to manufacturers of consoles/players.
> If you are the user of the device which is capable to play this format, but does
> not support it, you can send email to the manufacturer. Public support is very
> important for the project.

We also need a set of predefined profiles. Otherwise the amount of stuff
possible in matroska is infinite, as opposed to DVDs, DivX, MP4 where
there is a strict set of waht can be put in there.

It's impossible for a manufacturer to support an "ever growing" set of
codec or features. So we are going to work on defining such profiles
that manufacturers could support and that user could use as "encoding
targets". Basically what most people already use now.

Steve