[Matroska-devel] .mka with real player, total video converter and resulting converted size question

Chaz Antonelli chazantonelli at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 19:09:27 CET 2008

I downloaded and installed the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack), which
contains the Codecs to play matroska video and matroska audio files.

I am now able to watch .mka files on (*bah*) Windows Media player, but can
not video them on my preferred player, Real Player.

Furthermore, I went to convert the .mka files to .avi (VidX and DivX
respectively) using "Total Video Converter" -- the files converted to .avi
files, but the video portion wouldn't advance (freeze frame while audio kept
playing) -- if I queued up to another point of the file, the video frame
would refresh to the proper point; however, it would freeze at that point in
time.

And lastly, why would an .mka file that's 133k compress into an .avi file of
9.7k if .mka format is so much better compression?  I'm very confused.

(Note: I tried to use the mailing list archive's search function prior to
mailing the list, but I got nothing but garbage headers on the screen...)

Thanks for any help.

__
\/ Chaz Antonelli

Boston, MA USA ............ +1 617-266-7562      London, England UK ........
+44 (0)20 7993 2750
Rochester, NY USA ......... +1 585 226-1315      Facsimile/Fax .............
+1 240-757-1315