[Matroska-devel] H.264(x264) in mkv

Bode, Martin Martin.Bode at cycos.com
Wed Jul 23 17:43:37 CEST 2008

Hi,
I am trying to write routines to read matroska H.264 videofiles. I created an example mkv-file via x264. The file can be played by vlc and others, but I have problems reading the content of the matroska block elements in the examplefile myself. I expected each block to contain one H.264 NAL-unit or multiple nal-units ordered by a lacing method.
The matroskafile created by x264 seems (by a look at the code) to write a 32-bit length and a NAL unit of this length. There are very short sections of 5 or 6 byte, which cannot be decoded. Can you give me a hint, where this data structure is documented ?

Are there special documents for putting H.264 NAL-units into matroska-blocks ?

I had a look at http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html, but the lacing methods do not seem to fit...

Thanks in advance
Martin

Martin Bode
Software Developer/Research & Development
Phone:   +49-2404-901-483
Fax:       +49-2404-901-283
Martin.Bode at cycos.com
www.cycos.de

Cycos AG
Joseph-von-Fraunhofer Str. 7
D-52477 Alsdorf

Cycos Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Michael Tigges
Vorstand: Jürgen Diller (Vorsitzender),Rudolf Seeber
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Alsdorf
Registergericht: Aachen, HRB 7658