[Matroska-devel] Matroska fast start

Richard Sotke teetrinker at gmx.net
Fri Jan 11 10:01:38 CET 2008

Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2008 09:09:33 schrieb emanuele fumagalli:
> Hi, thanks for answering
>
> > No, there isn't. The integers are encoded using variable length encoding,
> > so some values may grow in size after being shifted up. You'd need to
> > reserve some space to handle that case or use some iterative process
> > until the cues stop growing. You'll also need to adjust SeekHeads if any
> > stuff they point to is moved. You could try libebml/libmatroska, but it's
> > not very well documented.
>
> Don't you know if this kind of feature is already implemented in some
> Matroska multiplexer? To me it seems it's an important feature, in the
> future videos will be streamed through the internet. Having all the
> metadata and Cues at the beginning will avoid jumps on the file.
A little bit off topic, but beside progressive download you could use
streaming via rtsp(rtp), with a streaming server like
http://live.polito.it/documentation/feng . You can also use Matroska files as
streaming source, if feng support a RTP Payload Format for the used
audio/video formats.

Here is a list off compatible clients:
http://live.polito.it/documentation/feng_streaming_server/client_compatibility_list

> Are there some steps to follow to implement it starting from an already
> multiplexed matroska file ?
>
> Thanks

Regards
Richard