[Matroska-devel] haali media splitter issues with 1080i Transport

Luke Stepniowski rrluke at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 15 20:50:47 CEST 2007

I'm using the Haali Media Splitter for playback of ATSC MPEG2 HD
Transports streams captured from a HDHomerun device. I'm experiencing an
unusual playback issue when using the Haali source splitter in my
DirectShow filters. The splitter is introducing what appears to look
like macro blocking when playing back 1080i content and possibly with
720p but I can't confirm 100% at this point. Upon further investigation
it is clear the error isn't source macroblocking. In the most drastic
instances of the error when an object is shown in the video and moves
location the initial location of the object still appears garbled while
the rest of the video is playing back smooth and clear. I can
replication the issue only when using Haali as the source splitter and
no other combination of filters after the Haali splitter resolves the
issue. The errors alway appear at the same point in the video time line
when seeking back to the bad spot. I can replicate the issue all three
of my 3 machines. I've verified with no doubt that if I use another
source filter the playback is 100% error free.

15 second clip showing the issue to test against:
http://www.majjix.com/tmp/sample051507.ts (when the horse kicks the
tricycle)

Here is an example of directshow filter (I've tried many combination and
it's no doubt isolated to Haali Splitter):
Haali Media Splitter -> NVidia Video Decoder / AC3Filter -> VM9 (issue)
File Source -> NVidiaTS Source -> NVidia Video Decoder / AC3Filter ->
VM9 (no issue)

-luke