[Matroska-devel] Free DRM Superdistribution

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon May 14 22:18:21 CEST 2007

Andrew Abbass wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> There are other aspects of the system I'd like to see intergrated.
>
> For one, the SML version of this database included the ability for
> fan's to resell their unique files, allowing them to take part in the
> revenue chain, something normally limited to physical music retailers.
>
> Once the purchase had been made, the tag information was overwritten
> in the file to make it unique. When that files gets to a new system,
> it contains the unique identifier that links to who ever purchased it
> last.
>
> That way if someone resells a purchased piece of media, they can
> eventually earn their money back so they ended up getting their music
> for free in the first place.
>
> I guess more than anything, if the DRM capabilities are in place, the
> abilities that need to be incorporated into this system need to be
> defined.
>
> The main push here is to create a system that doesn't take that
> percentage for databasing overhead. It's too much to ask. Even if it
> was set at pennies per transaction, that's still enough to pay for the
> system. (Provided it's an NFP and the excess revenue is donated to
> charity at the end of the year.)

All that is covered by what we have stated so far in the discussions I
will send you. The matroska part is to tell that the content is
encrypted and carry a description of the rights you need to use that
content. So all you're saying above is manager by the rights given to
the user. On which we (matroska people) have very little say. The rights
system that we thought about is ODRL.

Steve