[Matroska-devel] Free DRM Superdistribution

David Duffy davidnduffy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 11 23:26:46 CEST 2007

Conceptually the format can support it but in reality there is no such support.
You could make your own tools (or modify existing ones) to create DRM'ed content but I don't believe that any of the existing splitters/players et. al. that support Matroska playback would be able to handle the file which is what Moritz Bunkus' concern was when I asked for it.
So in short, you either have to get Matroska developer buy in, or you have to write all the pieces yourself (for all desired platforms) and support them yourself.
Alternatively you have to use VFW compatibility mode with your own codec that tries to figure it out from the data it is given but this is neither elegant nor codec independent and isn't what you are looking for.