[Matroska-devel] Re: mkvmerge support for Matroska ContentEncodingType

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Mar 2 09:10:07 CET 2007

Hey,

On Friday 02 March 2007 01:43, David Duffy wrote:

> Why do you need openssl to write those ebml keys?  I'm guessing you
> mean to be able to do the actual encryption and then read and decrypt
> files that use those properties for re-muxing?

Exactly.

> What about just to create a file with those properties set but leave
> it up to the user to do whatever encryption of the data they specified
> themselves?

No. This will most likely destroy interoperability. For example, what
about seeking? Does each frame have to be decryptable on its own? Or is
it enough that key frames are decryptable on their own and non-keyframes
may need decrypting of all frames starting with the previous key frame?
This hasn't even been defined in the Matroska specs so far.

> Personally I just want to set the properties without actually having
> mkvmerge do any encryption, maybe that could be an option?

And risk that users start creating their own pesudo standards for the
contents of those elements? I don't think that this would be a good
decision. Therefore I won't do it, sorry.

Mosu