[Matroska-devel] Using Haali Matroska Muxer

Mike Matsnev mike at po.cs.msu.su
Sat Feb 10 14:16:32 CET 2007

Richard Mason wrote:
> I'm trying to add Matroska output to a DirectShow based capture utility
> using the Haali Matroska Muxer. The muxer seems to work fine if I
> connect it up in GraphEdit with a recorded file, but when I connect it
> in my app it creates the file but does not write any data to it.
>
> The setup is fairly standard - I'm creating the filter, using the
> IFileSinkFilter interface to set the filename and connecting up some
> streams.
>
> Has anybody use the filter programmatically and have any idea what I may
> be missing? Is there any extra documentation for using the filter?
I don't really know what's wrong with your setup, but this behaviour may
happen when some pins are connected, and don't deliver any samples. Since
matroska files must be properly interleaved, the muxer will wait for end
of stream or some samples from all pins.

> A couple of side issues...
>
> The muxer supports the MP4 container as well. Is there an interface that
> is capable of setting this output?
You can set FileType property via IPropertyBag to 1 (VT_UI4), but I don't
recommend it. MP4 support is incomplete and is probably not compliant with
the MP4 standard (but it should be a valid ISO 14496-12 media file).

> I can't find any license information for the Haali suite. I assume it's
> available under similar licenses to the rest of the Matroska project. At
> the very least I'd just like to confirm that it isn't GPLed so I can use
> the filters from non-GPL code.
It's freeware, and the license is displayed when you install it.