[Matroska-devel] Which codec list is "current"?

Mike Matsnev mike at po.cs.msu.su
Wed Oct 25 20:17:18 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 05:19:22PM +0000, David Duffy wrote:
> Thank-you for your reply, I will use the list you recommend then.
> I'm actually working on a hardware player so I can't make use of any VfW stuff.
> I have to read the codec Id and map it to one of the codec's that I have support for on the hardware platform.
> Some of them will definitely not be supportable as they simply haven't been ported to this platform but wherever possible I want to be as consistent as possible and support as much as I can.
VFW mode has one important application - MPEG4.2 (ASP) is stored as VfW
with the same BITMAPINFOHEADER structure from AVI. If you already
support AVI on your device, then it should be quite easy to implement
VfW mode.

> As for delicate questions, if someone could be so kind as to comment on my previous question about how to select tracks when stereoscopic video is present that would be greatly appreciated (the hardware is designed to handle 3D so I would like to make sure I select the correct track(s)). :)
This is an unexplored area yet. I suppose you need to mark tracks as
stereo left/right (if you want to store them separately), and mark one of
them as default. The missing element is a pointer to another track of the same
pair, but this should not be a problem when you only have two video tracks in
a file.