[Matroska-devel] mkvmerge seek issues

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Jul 26 09:24:53 CEST 2006

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted this to the general-mailing list, but got no response. I think
> this is more of a development issue anyway.
>
> I'm attempting to mux an x264 video file encoded with mplayer, using the
> mkvtoolnix program mkvmerge v1.7.0 on linux. Everything works fine
> throughout all the steps, up until the video is muxed into an mkv file.
>
> Basically, once the movie is muxed, it plays fine, everything is in
> synch, _but_ the on screen position bar in mplayer is incorrect. No
> matter where I seek to, fast forward or rewind, the OSD reads out that
> the movies is at position 0%. I can fast forward, skip ahead, etc, but
> the OSD position meter in mplayer remains unchanged.
>
> At first I thought this was only a problem with mplayer, but when I play
> the file in VLC media player, a similar problem appears. Again the movie
> played fine, but VLC displayed no seek bar, and was also unable to fast
> forward the movie.
>
> I can only assume that some kind of time code stamps or the like have
> been changed or made unreadable somehow by mkvmerge.
>
> I encode the video, then mux it into an mp4 file using mp4box. Up to
> this point there are no problems. I can still seek fine(the OSD position
> bar appears, and will fill up as I seek further.) It is only once the
> video is muxed into an mkv file that the seek issue becomes a problem.
>
> I've tried multiple encoder settings for this, but nothing seems to
> work. Does anyone know what might be going wrong?

What is the command-line option you use to create the matroska file ? Or
do you use MMG ?

It's more than strange that the video will play with audio in sync but
you have no time bar. I don't even know how that's possible in VLC...

Alternatively can you upload a small part of your mux (you can try to
mux in 2 parts with a max of 5 MB for each part) somewhere so that we
can have a look at the file ?

Steve