[Matroska-devel] Tagging requires remuxing

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Jul 26 09:09:48 CEST 2006

Marco wrote:
> In the matroska-user ML, it has been noticed that tagging mkv files
> requires remuxing them (as for attaching files, too).

Yeah, sorry for the long delay to reply, I've been very busy on all
sides (and still is).

> I suppose that tagging information is stored in headers. Wouldn't
> it be possible to edit headers on the fly?
>
> Is there a technical reason behind this behaviour?

Technically it's possible to edit tags on the fly without having to
remux the whole file. Usually tags are padded with void at the end to
leave some space for easy editing. Otherwise in some cases a remux is
necessary.

Unfortunately the only app that allowed that so far is the Shell
Extension, but using tags wasn't always safe and it might be using the
old tag system (deprecated now for a while).

We do have plans for tags coming, but there is nothing out yet. I wish I
had time to make a small app or edit the shell extension to match the
new tags, but I really lack time for the moment. So please be patient.

Steve