[Matroska-devel] mkvmerge seek issues

ObsessiveMathsFreak obsessivemathsfreak at eircom.net
Tue Jul 25 21:40:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

I posted this to the general-mailing list, but got no response. I think
this is more of a development issue anyway.

I'm attempting to mux an x264 video file encoded with mplayer, using the
mkvtoolnix program mkvmerge v1.7.0 on linux. Everything works fine
throughout all the steps, up until the video is muxed into an mkv file.

Basically, once the movie is muxed, it plays fine, everything is in
synch, _but_ the on screen position bar in mplayer is incorrect. No
matter where I seek to, fast forward or rewind, the OSD reads out that
the movies is at position 0%. I can fast forward, skip ahead, etc, but
the OSD position meter in mplayer remains unchanged.

At first I thought this was only a problem with mplayer, but when I play
the file in VLC media player, a similar problem appears. Again the movie
played fine, but VLC displayed no seek bar, and was also unable to fast
forward the movie.

I can only assume that some kind of time code stamps or the like have
been changed or made unreadable somehow by mkvmerge.

I encode the video, then mux it into an mp4 file using mp4box. Up to
this point there are no problems. I can still seek fine(the OSD position
bar appears, and will fill up as I seek further.) It is only once the
video is muxed into an mkv file that the seek issue becomes a problem.

I've tried multiple encoder settings for this, but nothing seems to
work. Does anyone know what might be going wrong?