[Matroska-devel] Re: Unknown-> English language tag conversion by Haali splitter

Victor Mozgin vic_mozgin at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 17:19:52 CEST 2006

> > It seems that Haali splitter sets "English" language tags on streams that
have
> > none. At least that's what I see for video streams and audio streams split
> > from AVI files. Can we make it customizable (with the possibility to
> > keep "Unknown")? My filter chain depends on it, i.e. if there is a stream
of
> > unknown audio and a stream of English subtitles (common case of .avi +
> > external .srt), then it is assumed that audio is non-English, and
subtitles
> > are enabled; with Haali audio stream comes as English, so there is no
point in
> > enabling subtitles.
> > Thanks,
>
> In mastroska tracks, the default language is always "eng" for english.
> That's the case even if the language attribute is not set. If you want
> to set a track to unknown you have to use "und" (undetermined) for the
> language.

OK, may I ask why? While I can see benefits of always having a determined
language tag, it seems that it makes it impossible to differentiate between
tracks with "eng" and tracks without the attribute. In any case, I wasn't so
concerned with native matroska containers - they usually contain proper tags.
But Haali splitter also supports AVI, and it's not possible to set this tag
there (even if it's possible, obviously no one does it; at least all the .avi
that I tried are reported by Haali as English, and many of them are not). I'd
like to have a way to change the reported language for .avi, that's all. Does
it make sense?
Thanks,

/Victor