[Matroska-devel] Re: Containers overhead

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Mon Oct 24 04:05:14 CEST 2005

Hi Davide,

i assume these are bytes ? Pls. note that your comparison is not correct
for such very small file sizes, because mkvmerge will by default reserve
a few KB in the header for tags, so that these can be written into the
file afterwards with our tag editor, without having to remux the
complete file. In your case, this is totally wasted space.

If you create such small files, you should deactivate that with the
right switch in mkvmerge ( −−no−tags ) . Also, it may happen that our
file header structure will not allow very small overheads on such
untypically small files of just 2 MB.

Retry with real video file sizes, like 50 - 1000 MB, and you'll see the
difference.

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org