[Matroska-devel] Does Matroska Suck ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Oct 19 18:18:27 CEST 2005

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> Steve Lhomme schrieb:
>
>> http://www.scottberkun.com/essays/essay46.htm
>> The answer is not there. But it's a good article to understanding what
>> it takes to do something good.
>
> Another thing is STILL, despite all the hard work from Haali, the
> serious playback problems we are facing on some machines. Now, its easy
> to stand at the position  '...well, this is their fault, they shouldnt
> have installed so many codec packs and other shit....'   but i believe
> we are making things to easy for us here. Did you know that a CD/DVD
> burning app is installing about a dozen different DirectShow filters
> these days, for their multimedia support ? Now lets think for a moment
> you knew that, but do you think a normal user has the faintest clue of
> what Nero is doing to his machine, when he decides to install even the
> Demo Version only, for testing ?

Yeah, DShow is a big problem. VLC is one good solution. And hopefully
TC(P)MP will be another one.

Anyway, for the pack I try to override as few default FFDShow settings
as possible to avoid weird behaviours. But it seems having old ffdshow
creates big problems. Uninstalling and reinstalling seem to fix the pb...

/note to self, uninstall the previous packs & ffdshow before installing...