[Matroska-devel] (no subject)

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Oct 10 20:40:57 CEST 2005

Hi Erik,

thanks for your interest in our project, especially about converting MKV
files into other, obviously preferred, formats. However, i am having a
number of problems with your email :

1. Could you please tell us what program you were using to 'convert'
your MKV into a 3 GB AVI file ? Do you really think that we have the
time to guess that ?

2. May we know the purpose of your planned conversion into AVI ?

3. AVI can hold up to 99 tracks in one file IIRC, makes 98 audio tracks
if one video track is present. So why would you insist in getting
separate AVIs for every language then ( see 2.) ?

4. MKV is developed to overcome the numerous existing limitations of
AVI. For this very reason, most MKV files are simply speaking not
convertable into AVI, depending on the used codecs and if the file is
VFR or not. What codecs are being used in your MKV file ? Is it VFR
(Variable Framerate) ? and where did you get it from ?

Thanks for answering our questions, enabling us to help you with what
you are trying to do (whatever it is)

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org